An exercise bike is a machine used for exercise equipment for indoor cycling. Most people own an elliptical or stationary bike and place it inside the home to exercise. While running the machine for exercising there may be some functional problems.
These problems are common and simple to fix if you know how to repair exercise bike? There are some mechanical tips we have described in the article to repair exercise bikes along with the equipment. Therefore stay with me for the solution.
- How Long Does an Exercise Bike Last?
- How to Repair Exercise Bike
- How Do You Tighten the Belt on an Exercise Bike?
- How Do You Fix an Exercise Bike Pedal?
- Magnetic Resistance Exercise Bike Problems
- Fixing Upright Exercise Bike Problems
- Recumbent Exercise Bike Problems
- Final Statement
How Long Does an Exercise Bike Last?
It is difficult to say how long an exercise bike lasts? However, experts say it depends on several things such as proper maintenance and how the machine is being used? Some machines can last for 20 years maximum. Anyway, proper maintenance increases the lifespan of the machine.
What You’ll Need to Repair an Exercise Bike?
Whenever you face a mechanic problem you need some equipment to open that specific parts of the bike and fix them. If you have an exercise bike in your home I suggest buying a bike repairing toolbox that contains the equipment you need to fix the issue?
- A pedal wrench
- Lubricant oil
- Allen wrench
- Crank puller
- Socket wrench
- Adjustable wrench
- Silicone spray lubricant
How to Repair Exercise Bike
With some regular care and routine work, it is possible to find out the problems with the bike. When you find out the exact problem you may think How To Repair Exercise Bike troubleshooting? If you are reading the article then you are in the right place. Just continue reading to learn about troubleshooting and repairing.
Error code is generated when there are problems with the exercise bike. If you see an error code like E1, E6 on your stationary bike means the bike cannot function properly.
To find out the problem check the user manual and follow the directions. If you don’t have the user manual, download it online. If the solution is not there you should call the professionals to repair the issue.
How Do You Tighten the Belt on an Exercise Bike?
A high resistance level and paddle slip indicate that the drive belt is not adjusted properly. Or you need to replace the belt. To adjust the drive belt, first, unplug the electric socket then do the following
- Remove the right paddle, seat post, top shield cover, rear shield cover, front shield cover, right disc cover, right pedal disc, and right shield using a wrench and screwdriver.
- You will see the belt and flywheel, locate the two nuts that are holding the flywheel.
- Next, rotate the right pedal clockwise to loosen it and counter-clockwise to tighten the belt.
- Check the belt and keep tightening the nuts until you get your desired result. However, you can move the belt approximately half an inch.
Rattling and hitting noise issues are common for stationary bikes. Regular maintenance is the first solution to remove the squeaking. Because the bike functions with the belt, pedal, wheels, and motor mainly. When one of these parts becomes a jam then the sound creates a squeaking.
- Use an adjustable wrench to remove the pedals, a socket wrench, and a crank arms puller to remove the crank arm.
- Unscrew to open the side plates then check for the problem to solve.
- If the belt is ok, lubricate the belt, chain, and other moving parts that create the sound. Use a silicone spray lubricant to make them run without sound.
- Check for the loose bolts and other things such as belts, pedals, and screws and tighten them.
How Do You Fix an Exercise Bike Pedal?
If the pedal is loose, you can simply use the wrench to tighten it. Turn it clockwise for the right pedal and counterclockwise for the left pedal. Also, check the threads stripped on the pedal and crank arm. In case of replacing them, you can buy pedals and crank arms from the same manufacturer for better compatibility.
Magnetic Resistance Exercise Bike Problems
Magnetic resistance bikes are very popular nowadays and they don’t have too many moving parts. These bikes are more expensive than stationary bikes and in case of troubleshoots they are expensive too.
Loss of resistance, loose bolts, and screws are the regular issues with the magnetic resistance bike. Here is the common standard maintenance procedure for the solution.
- Use a dry cloth to clean the dust from the bike. Don’t use abrasive liquid and petroleum types oil to clean the bike.
- Check the sensor whether it is accurate or not? You can check your cardio rate with other machines and check with your machine for its accuracy.
- Check the pedals, straps to make sure that they are not loose or firmly placed or working properly. If not, use the above-mentioned methods to repair.
- Always lubricant the motor, flywheel, paddles, and other moving parts. As they are the key part of the magnetic bike they should function smoothly
- Clean the bike thoroughly once a week and adjust the belt tension to run properly.
Fixing Upright Exercise Bike Problems
These bikes have multiple functions that may create troubleshoots as well. Here are the common battery problem and solutions below.
Step 1: Replacing Display Panel Batteries of Magnetic Bike
- Unplug the power cord and find if it is battery powered or not?
- If so, locate the batteries, test them to fix. Otherwise, replace the battery with a new one.
- Use an Allen wrench and screwdriver to fix the battery in its place again.
Step 2 : Remove Pedal Cranks and Flywheel
Open the covers and parts of the bike to expose the flywheel. Grab the flywheel and rotate counterclockwise to open it. Remove the covers to remove the flywheel covers.
Step 3: Remove and Replace the Magnetic Unit
Unscrew the nuts of the pulley with a socket and ratchet. Slip the V-belt and inspect the belt for damage. Replace it if needed, also replace the magnetic unit by removing the nuts from the unit.
Step 4: Reinstall V-Belt and Pedal Cranks
Put the V-belt to its place and secure the pulley with nuts. Cover the flywheel and reattach the pedal cranks.
Recumbent Exercise Bike Problems
It is the best Exercise Bike For Knee Rehab as it puts less pressure on knee joints. Its battery is the common trouble maker which may need to be changed or fixed. If you are using one of these bikes follow the below solutions for the common troubleshoots.
- Remove the chain with an Allen wrench to lose the bolts. Once the safeguard is open rotate the flywheel to see the battery pack.
- Inspect the connection and replace them if burnt or torn. Open the cap from the battery pack using a screwdriver.
- Replace the battery and reattach the cap. Next, locate the speed sensor near the pedal socket. Remove the nut with a hex wrench that holds the sensor in place. Pull the speed sensor out to access the battery cap inside the unit.
- Install a new battery and replace the cap. Place the speed sensor and screw the nut. Fix the rest of the things and in the end, tighten the bolts.
Surely the exercise bike is the best exercising machine right now for indoor exercise. If you are using the machine you may face some problems with the bike. You can fix these simple issues with the methods we have described above. If the problem is serious you should call the professionals to fix it.
Therefore now you know how to repair exercise bike? If you find this information helpful share your knowledge with your friends, they may be beneficial with these repairing steps. So feel free to use the exercise bike and lead a healthy and happy life.